LA LA LAND takes field-leading 8 ACCA wins, including Best Picture and Best Director for Damien Chazelle.
NEW YORK (February 7, 2017) – Awards Circuit announced today its winners for the 2016 Awards Circuit Community Awards. The awards are voted on annually by Awards Circuit’s community of over 500,000 readers from all over the world.
Damien Chazelle’s modern musical “La La Land,” which previously broke the ACCA record for most nominations with 15 total citations, takes home the most prizes with eight total wins. The film nabbed the top honors of Best Picture and Best Director for Chazelle. Additionally, the film scored five runners-up nods, most notably in Best Actor (for Ryan Gosling), Best Actress (for Emma Stone) and Best Original Screenplay (for Chazelle).
Tied for second-most wins with two each is “Moonlight,” “Manchester by the Sea” and “Jackie.” Barry Jenkins’ film won Best Supporting Actor for Mahershala Ali and Best Ensemble. Kenneth Lonergan’s drama took Best Actor for Casey Affleck and Best Original Screenplay for Lonergan. Best Actress for Natalie Portman and Best Costume Design gave “Jackie” its wins.
Although it only won Best Adapted Screenplay for Eric Heisserer, “Arrival” won the most runners-up prizes with seven total mentions.
Click here to see the list of past winners and nominees of ACCA.
The full list of 2016 ACCA winners is below.
“La La Land”
- Runner-up: “Moonlight”
Damien Chazelle for “La La Land”
- Runner-up: Denis Villeneuve for “Arrival”
Casey Affleck for “Manchester by the Sea”
- Runner-up: Ryan Gosling for “La La Land”
Natalie Portman for “Jackie”
- Runner-up: Emma Stone for “La La Land”
Best Supporting Actor
Mahershala Ali for “Moonlight”
- Runner-up: Lucas Hedges for “Manchester by the Sea”
Best Supporting Actress
Viola Davis for “Fences”
- Runner-up: Michelle Williams for “Manchester by the Sea”
Best Original Screenplay
Kenneth Lonergan for “Manchester by the Sea”
- Runner-up: Damien Chazelle for “La La Land”
Best Adapted Screenplay
Eric Heisserer for “Arrival”
- Runner-up: Barry Jenkins for “Moonlight”
Best Cast Ensemble
- Runner-up: “Nocturnal Animals”
Best Animated Feature
- Runner-up: “Kubo and the Two Strings”
Best Foreign Language
“Elle” from France
- Runner-up: “The Handmaiden” from South Korea
Best Production Design
David Wasco for “La La Land”
- Runners-up: Jess Gonchor for “Hail, Caesar!” and Patrice Vermette for “Arrival”
Best Original Score
Justin Hurwitz for “La La Land”
- Runner-up: Jóhann Jóhannsson for “Arrival”
Linus Sandgren for “La La Land”
- Runner-up: Bradford Young for “Arrival”
Best Costume Design
Madeline Fontaine for “Jackie”
- Runner-up: Mary Zophres for “La La Land”
Best Film Editing
Tom Cross for “La La Land”
- Runner-up: Joe Walker for “Arrival”
Best Makeup and Hairstyling
- Runner-up: “Jackie”
“La La Land”
- Runner-up: “Arrival”
Best Visual Effects
“The Jungle Book”
- Runner-up: “Arrival”
Best Original Song
“City of Stars” from “La La Land”
- Runner-up: “Audition (The Fools Who Dream)” from “La La Land”
Best Documentary Feature
- Runner-up: “O.J.: Made in America”
Best Stunt Ensemble
- Runner-up: “Captain America: Civil War”
ABOUT AWARDS CIRCUIT
The Awards Circuit has been the premier entertainment and awards site since May 2008. It is owned and operated by Editor-in-Chief Clayton Davis. AC also staffs an eclectic group of writers, all from different walks of life, and all from different areas of the world.
Awards Circuit is committed to delivering unbiased news and awards coverage to both industry professionals and dedicated fans of film, television, music and theatre. Our diverse team of writers provide in-depth analysis of both American and international entertainment.